Portuguese sayings II


Aveiro, Portugal


"Abre o jogo" (Open the game) - meaning: Be honest.

"Comprei gato por lebre" (I bought cat instead of hare) - meaning: I was fooled.

"Fiquei pendurado" (I was hanged) - meaning: The other person didn't come to our appointment.

"Ela está a mandar bocas" (She is sending mouths) - meaning: She is critizing.

"Ele está a passar a batata quente" ( He is passing the hot potato) - meaning: He is trying for other to solve the problem.

"Vou enviar um fax" (I am going to send a fax) - meaning: I am going to the toilet

"Ele deu o corpo ao manifesto" (He gave his body to manifest) - meaning: He is totally committed.

"Ela ficou a chuchar no dedo" (She is sucking her thumb) - meaning: She didn't get what she wanted.

"Estou em pulgas" ( I'm in fleas) - meaning: I am excited, I can't wait!

"Ele deu a cara" (He gave his face) - meaning: He recognized his responsibility in the matter.

"Estás a fazer uma tempestade num copo de água" ( You are making a storm inside a glass of water) - meaning: You're exaggerating it. 

"Ela nasceu com o cu virado para a lua" ( She was born with the ass in the moon's direction) - meaning: She was born in a rich family.


"Estou às escuras" (I am in the dark) - meaning: You are not giving enough information for me to understand.

"Ele deu com a língua nos dentes" (He gave his tongue in the teeth) - meaning: He told a secret.

"Ela está a cantar de galo" (She is singing as a rooster) - meaning: 

"Tenho a barriga a dar horas" (My belly is giving hours) - meaning: I am hungry.

"Ele esta a dar-te um baile"

"Eu vou fazer-te a cama" (I am going to make you, your bed) - meaning: I am going to make you something to punish you.

"Ela pendurou as botas" (She hang the boots) - Meaning: She is retired.

"Ele deu corda aos sapatos" (He gave rope to his shoes) - meaning: He left very quickly.

"Não dá nem para mandar cantar o ceguinho" (It's not enough to ask the blind one sing) - meaning: The money is not enough


"Vou abanar o capacete" (I am going to shake the helmet)  - meaning: I am going to dance. 


"Ela chorou baba e ranho" (She cried drool and snot) - meaning: She cried continuously, a lot.

"Ele foi passado a ferro" (He was ironed) - meaning: He was run over. 


"Ela está a mandar postas de pescada" (She is sending hake's steaks) - meaning: She is criticizing.